Key reports & resolutions at the 47th Session of the Human Rights Council
The Human Rights Council (HRC) is the foremost intergovernmental body responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights around the globe.
The 47th session of the UN Human Rights Council takes place from 25 June 2021 - 13 July 2021, in Geneva.
The HRC is presented with thematic and country reports from UN experts and where Member States debate and pass resolutions on cross-cutting human rights issues and human rights situations in particular countries.
Find below information on key reports and resolutions related to gender justice, sexuality and women's rights, as well as statements made by feminist activists and civil society on restrictions to civil society participation this session.
Key Reports at the 47th Session
- ‘Disinformation and freedom of opinion and expression’ - Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression
- ‘Rape as a grave, systematic and widespread human rights violation, a crime and a manifestation of gender-based violence against women and girls, and its prevention’ - Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- ‘The law of inclusion’ - Report of the Independent Expert on protection against violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
- ‘Strategic priorities of work’ - Report of the Special Rapporteur on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health
- ‘Right to education: the cultural dimensions of the right to education, or the right to education as a cultural right’ - Report of the Special Rapporteur on the right of education
- ‘Implementation of the non-punishment principle’ - Report of the Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons especially women and children
- ‘Women’s and girls’ sexual and reproductive health rights in crisis’ - Report of the Working Group on discrimination against women and girls
- ‘Annual full-day discussion on the human rights of women’ - Report of the Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights
- ‘Analytical study on the promotion and protection of the rights of older persons in the context of climate change’ - Report of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- ‘Freedom of opinion and expression’ - Report of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- ‘Current levels of representation of women in human rights organs and mechanisms: ensuring gender balance’ - Report of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee
- ‘Promotion and protection of the human rights and fundamental freedoms of Africans and of people of African descent against excessive use of force and other human rights violations by law enforcement officers’ - Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
Key statements (To be shared when available)
- Joint statement on disinformation and the right to freedom of expression and opinion
- Joint statement on comprehensive sexuality education
- Statement on “Gender-equal socioeconomic recovery from the COVID-19 Pandemic”
- Preventable maternal mortality and morbidity and human rights (Colombia, Estonia, New Zealand) A/HRC/47/L.23/Rev.1
- Accelerating efforts to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls on preventing and responding to all forms of violence against women and girls with disabilities (Canada) A/HRC/47/L.18/Rev.1
- Realizing the equal enjoyment of the right to education by every girl (the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom) A/HRC/47/L.3
- Menstrual hygiene management, human rights, and gender equality A/HRC/47/L.2 (Africa Group)
- Promotion and protection of the human rights and fundamental freedoms of Africans and of people of African descent against excessive use of force and other human rights violations by law enforcement officers through transformative change for racial justice and equality A/HRC/47/L.8/Rev.1 (Africa Group)
- Human rights in the context of HIV and AIDS (Brazil, Colombia, Portugal, Mozambique, Thailand) A/HRC/47/L.15
- Human rights of migrants (Mexico) A/HRC/47/L.26
- Civil society space: Covid-19: the road to recovery and the essential role of civil society (led by Ireland, Chile, Japan, Sierra Leone, Tunisia) - A/HRC/47/L.1
- The promotion, protection and enjoyment of human rights on the Internet (Brazil, Nigeria, USA, Tunisia, Sweden) A/HRC/47/L.22
- Right to education (Portugal) A/HRC/47/L4/Rev.1