Resisting and Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms
About this Initiative
Religious fundamentalisms are on the rise around the world and across religions, with negative consequences for women’s rights. AWID launched the CF initiative in 2007 to strengthen the responses of women’s rights activists to this growing phenomenon.
The CF team conducts innovative research to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women’s rights groups. The research has identified the key characteristics of religious fundamentalisms, examined the factors that help them grow, and detailed how they impact women’s rights across regions and religions.
The initiative offers analysis that unmasks and demystifies religious fundamentalisms, and shares strategies that women’s rights activists use to challenge them.
The CF team also supports advocacy, builds alliances with women’s rights, human rights and development organizations and facilitates strategic dialogue on religious fundamentalisms.
In the News
Browse the latest news items on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights from around the world
- Historic Pride march in Moldova should be 'first of many'
- Pakistan: Taking a stand: Shad Begum vows to continue fighting for voting rights
- Afghanistan's parliament fails to pass women's rights legislation
- Indonesia: Adat Law Needs to Adhere to Human Rights Standards
- Afghanistan: 75 Faryab schoolgirls ill after gas attack
- Iran's New Penal Code Retains the Punishment of Stoning
- Georgia: Homophobic violence mars Tbilisi Pride event
- Brazil judicial decision paves the way for same sex marriage
- In El Salvador, a Country Awaits the Supreme Court Decision on Beatriz’s Life
- Israel: Haredim heckle, harass Women of Wall during prayer
Urgent Actions, Calls for Participation, and Events
Browse the latest appeals and urgent actions related to women resisting fundamentalisms
- India: Release Woman Health Activist Madhuri Immediately
- Sunila has given to the world, now it’s time to give to her
- Urgent action request from AI on Beatriz's case - El Salvador
- Turkey: Trial against VAKAD and other civil society organisations in Van continues
- United Nations Secretary General & the OHCHR: End Stoning Now
- Egypt: Stop sexual violence against women demanding their rights
- Call for applications from Egypt and Iraq: Online training programme - minority rights, freedom of religion, and international advocacy
- Call for Applications: 6th CSBR Sexuality Institute, Aug18 – 24, 2013 Kathmandu, Nepal
- Canadian and international sex workers denied leave to intervene in Supreme Court Case on Prostitution Laws
- Lebanon: Solidarity with Demands for Justice Against the Abuse and Degradation of Non-heteronormative bodies by the Municipality of Dekwaneh
Facing Fundamentalisms Newsletters
Here you will find an archive of the Facing Fundamentalisms newsletters, featuring updates, analysis and resources about challenging religious fundamentalisms from around the world.
Analysis and Resources
Browse the latest articles, analysis and interviews on religious fundamentalisms and women’s rights
- Iran Presidential Election: Women Banned
- Russia: Kremlin Faces Barbs From All Sides on Human Rights
- Afghanistan: Rising numbers of women jailed for 'moral crimes', says HRW
- Malta: Women’s confederation irked by Gozo bishop homily on abortion
- 'The Other' and LGBT Rights in Turkey
- Serbian Church Crosses Sensitive Line at Political Rally
- Women and Democracy in Pakistan: How Dreams are Stronger than Fear
- Miss India vs. Hindu Fundamentalists
- Resource (Video): Global Dialogues "Faceoff over homosexuality. Where do YOU stand?" (English version)
- Egyptian man disguised as woman is harassed