Senior Gender-based Violence (GBV) Program Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The provinces of North and South Kivu in eastern Congo are regarded as some of the cruellest conflict zones for women and girls in recent history. Throughout the wars, tens of thousands of women and girls have been raped, sexually assaulted, attacked and abducted. Renewed fighting in North Kivu in 2007-8 highlighted again the intense brutality with which women and girls are being targeted by all armed groups for acts of degrading sexual violence. The effects of this violence are expected to have long-lasting and far-reaching ramifications for both the affected individuals and communities.
IRC's GBV program in DRC seeks to address both the immediate and long-term needs of survivors of sexual violence, as well as the concerns of vulnerable women and girls. This will be achieved through improved access to socio-economic and educational opportunities as well as advocacy for greater protection. The project design incorporates:
i) emergency response to save lives and reduce suffering;
ii) recovery interventions to address the long-term needs of survivors of sexual violence, and
iii) post-conflict development activities to promote the empowerment and well-being of women and girls in the private and public spheres.
The Senior GBV Program Coordinator is responsible for providing overall leadership, guidance, coordination and technical support to IRC's GBV programs and advocacy efforts to prevent and mitigate sexual violence in DRC.
The Senior GBV Program Coordinator will provide regular on-site monitoring visits, and continuous remote support to the teams in South and North Kivu to ensure that all interventions are technically sound, take into account international best practices, and are appropriate in meeting the needs of GBV survivors and affected communities. The Senior GBV Coordinator works in close collaboration with the GBV Technical Unit in New York, and is supervised by the Director of Programs in Kinshasa.
Main areas of responsibility:
- Sector Strategy and Program Development
- Program Quality and Technical Oversight
- Internal Coordination
- Representation and External Coordination
- Advocacy & Communications.
Please see full job description at: http://www.theirc.org/jobs => search under "DR Congo."
- Advanced degree in public health, social work, public policy or another related field
- At least five years of overseas experience, including substantial senior management experience in gender-based violence programming;
- Ability to design culturally-appropriate projects which protect and uphold women's rights.
- Strong analytical, project planning, management, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and other documents.
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
- Have the ability and interest to work with a diverse and multicultural team in a respectful and culturally appropriate manner.
- Strong computer skills: must be competent in the use of Windows, MS office programs (Word, Excel), email programs.
- Fluency in both French and English, both spoken and written.
- Experience with information management systems and data analysis.
- Strong budget management ability, ideally with USG funding.
Job Code: 4626
Please apply online at: http://www.theirc.org/jobs (search under "DR Congo")