About AWID Membership
AWID strongly believes in building collective power to advance women’s rights and gender equality worldwide. Only if we strengthen the voice, impact and influence of women’s rights advocates, organizations and movements, will we create a world where women rights are respected, poverty is eradicated and peace endures.
Together with AWID, you can work to ensure that women’s rights advocates, organizations and movements continue to drive political, social and economic change to ensure rights for women and for all.
- AWID is the only international feminist membership organization, with members in all regions of the world.
- Every three years, we organize the largest global women’s rights conference, providing a critical platform to find collective solutions to advance gender equality and women’s rights.
- We contribute to giving visibility to, and supporting leadership of, women’s rights activists and organizations in the Global South and Eastern and Central Europe
- Our engagement with young women around the world, (one-third of our membership) contributes to the sustainability of women’s rights work and has become a clear flagship of the work we do.
- We work collaboratively and use our positioning to open spaces for women’s organizations and movements to participate in key policy-making venues at the global level.
- We combine our feminist analytical work with both political and practical tools.
AWID's Membership Values
AWID's members are dedicated to achieving gender equality, sustainable development and women's rights around the world. Our shared values help us to achieve this mission. These values include:
Diversity - Women come from all backgrounds, beliefs, abilities and experiences. As such, openness to diversity must be an integral aspect of advancing women's rights. We believe in working together as feminists and gender equality advocates, in learning from each other's diverse realities, and in creating just societies and healthy environments for every person.
Human rights - We will work towards the full application of the rights enshrined in CEDAW and other international law and against fundamentalisms of all sorts that threaten these rights. Human rights must be seen as indivisible and universal. We will work towards the eradication of all discriminations based on gender, sexuality, religion, age, ability, ethnic background, nationality, class or other factors.
Autonomy - We champion a woman's right to choose her relationships, her goals, her dreams, and what she wants to do with her mind, body and spirit.
Cooperation - We work towards a world and an economic system based on social and economic justice, interdependence, solidarity and respect rather than competition and exploitation. We want a world without war and without the systems of oppression against which women and men have struggled in patriarchal societies for thousands of years.
Responsibility - In all of our work, we will strive for transparency, responsible use of our resources, fairness in our relations, accountability, integrity and excellence
What do AWID members receive?
As an AWID member, you join not only a large network of feminist activists and organizations around the globe, but also a worldwide women's movement. AWID members receive:
- a quarterly membership e-newsletter keeping you up to date on AWID news and events
- discounted member rates to attend the AWID International Forum
- the opportunity to nominate AWID Board members and vote for their election
- online versions of AWID’s latest publication direct to your inbox
- automatic e-mailing of our annual activity review
- the opportunity to make links with diverse women and organizations working towards women’s rights and sustainable development around the world
- a link to your organization from www.awid.org (institutional members only)
- access to members-only resources (coming soon)