A New Resource: MobileActive.org: SaferMobile
A project of MobileActive.org, SaferMobile is an initiative designed to help activists, human rights defenders, and journalists assess the mobile communications risks that they face, and then use appropriate countermeasures in order to organise, report, and work with mobile devices more safely.
SaferMobile provides how-to guides, videos, infographics, and mobile tools focused on how to use mobile technology more safely. The initiative offers: online and offline educational and tactical resources (risk evaluation tools, case studies, how-to guides, security tool reviews); trainings in a number of countries; and specific mobile security software focused on the needs of rights defenders, activists, and journalists.
The initiative centres around a website that is currently available in English, Arabic, and Spanish, with Farsi coming. Sections of the website include:
- Protect: Articles and tools include, for example, "Security Considerations for Satellite Phones: The Essential Guide".
- Download: offers links to tools such as PrivateGSM, an app that allows you to make secure, encrypted voice calls with your mobile phone.
- Train: The SaferMobile training modules have two objectives: to teach participants about the risks they face when communicating and storing sensitive data on their mobile phones; and to provide tools for participants to assess their risks, and to choose how to mitigate them. Amongst the lessons included in a SaferMobile Training: "You can mitigate risks by changing your behaviour, switching to a more secure mode of mobile communication for sensitive information, or choosing not to communicate certain information via mobile."
- Blog: one sample entry: "Mobile Security Survival Guide for Journalists"
- Watch (SaferMobile's YouTube channel)
For further information, please go to: https://safermobile.org/