Violence Against Women Advisor
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), Iraq.
Northern Iraq has one of the highest rates of recorded violence against women (VAW) in the country. Women in northern Iraq are victims of honor killings, burning, and other violence.
Due to the high rate of VAW in the north the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) has established a gender-based violence (GBV) unit to help police, governmental services and civil society to develop the capacity to respond, prevent and monitor violence against women. The unit is in the first year of operation.
The VAW Advisor will support the government's GBV Unit to improve the governmental response to VAW, and identify specific actions needed to improve and develop appropriate services. During the assignment the VAW Advisor will work directly with the government GBV unit on a day to day basis.
- Work directly with the Government GBV Unit to identify immediate areas for support and capacity development and outline recommendations for next steps.
- Map current government and NGO services available to women.
- Review current laws and provide recommendations on specific legislation Kurdistan is considering drafting.
- Develop recommendations for how IRC could develop a VAW program strategy in northern Iraq, based on governmental and civil society capacities.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience working on issues around violence against women and girls, with demonstrated experience at the national level on policy and capacity.
- Previous experience in developing national action plans addressing violence against women and girls.
- Demonstrated experience with participatory approaches bringing together actors that should be involved in a coordinated community response to violence against women and girls.
- Program development skills.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports with specific recommendations for action.
- Regional experience a plus.
Job Code: 4663
Please apply ONLINE at: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA2/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=4663 or go to: http://www.theIRC.org, click "Jobs" and search under "Iraq".