Resident Advisor, Gender Based Violence Program
Internews Network, Ndjamena, Chad.
Internews Network is seeking a Resident Advisor for its Gender Based Violence (GBV) program based in Chad. The objective of the program is to enhance citizen's access to locally-developed and broadcast news and information on GBV and women's rights issues in remote communities in Chad, especially those in which GBV is an acute problem.
The expected results are: to improve the ability of journalists to report on these issues in a sensitive and appropriate manner in their local languages; to improve the quality and quantity of programs aired on these key issues; and to help spearhead community dialogue on GBV and women's issues in an effort to address it.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provide overall management and strategic direction of project and quality management of program deliverables.
- Provide in depth technical support through formal and in-house trainings to journalists of community radio stations in Chad, enabling them to report effectively on issues related to GBV and women's rights issues.
- Travel to the radio stations to provide one-on-one mentoring to journalism trainees.
- Assist local community radio station staff with writing, research and production of quality stories for broadcasts on GBV in harmony with the requirements of the funder and project deliverables.
- Coordinate with other in-country programs to ensure synergy of Internews projects in Chad.
- Work closely with in-country partners and local civil society to assess and address information needs in the communities where the stations are located.
- Work closely with Washington DC staff, to build the capacity of local media organizations such as the URPT (Union des Radios Privees du Tchad), and ADMC (Association des Medias Communautaires). Coordinate training and activities with them.
- Coordinate and liaise with NGOs, international organizations, and local authorities.
- Hire and supervise local staff.
- Provide financial and administrative oversight to the project and ensure compliance with donor regulations.
- Ensure overall program goals and deliverables are met timely, write progress reports and program work plans as needed, and liaise with donor.
- Draft internal reports and program public relations documents/flyers to promote the program as needed.
- Send regular updates to Washington DC-based program management team.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential task.
- Prior experience administering U.S. government funded grants: experience and expertise in similar projects (journalism training, media development).
- Experience managing projects in challenging environments including conflict zones, specifically, experience living and working in African conflict zones.
- Expertise in gender based violence reporting.
- Experience training journalists on gender based violence and women's rights issues.
- Experience developing and implementing program monitoring and evaluation.
- Prior experience with fundraising and proposal writing.
- Education: Undergraduate degree and relevance, graduate degree and relevance to field work - and 10 years industry experience.
- Experience working in cross-cultural environments.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret financial reports and complex budgets.
- French language skills.
Interested candidates meeting the qualifications should forward a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com placing "GBV Resident Advisor-Chad" in the subject line.