Consultant: International Expert On Mainstreaming Rural Women Into Self-Employment
UNDP. Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.
Closing date: September 10, 2008.
Location: Ashgabat, TURKMENISTAN
Application Deadline: 10-Sep-08
Additional Category: Women's Empowerment
Type of Contract: SSA
Post Level: SSA
Languages Required: English, Russian
Starting Date: 22-Sep-2008
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
The Government of Turkmenistan follows the principles of equal distribution of resources both for urban and rural territories and among its people. However, the most important challenge to development is now to ensure a balanced growth, one that avoids a sharp rise in income inequalities and living standards, one that equally benefits men and women, urban and rural populations, and different generations. A 2001 study by the National Institute of State Statistics and Information revealed familiar patterns of gender stratification in economic activity, with women being employed largely in the informal sector. Women in the formal sector are concentrated at the lower end of the scale in certain segments including health care, education and the food industry. In this regard, UNDP provides technical assistance to the Women's Union of Turkmenistan in implementation of pilot projects in Dashoguz and Mary velayats (provinces) aimed at demonstrating different approaches to engage unemployed and under-employed rural women into self-employment and to create opportunities for micro-business development.
In 2008, the UNDP project has conducted mini-survey in Dashoguz and Mary velayats to study training needs and demand for non-financial and financial services for business development. Analysis of survey results as well as review of existing non-financial and financial service system is being carried out with support of national experts. The UNDP project anticipates providing international consultancy and expertise for comprehensive review of existing opportunities for rural women in small and micro business development and preparation of recommendations for promotion business development opportunities based on the best international practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The consultant will focus his/her work on the preparation of comprehensive strategy for creating income-generating opportunities for rural women and engaging into entrepreneurship. International expert is expected to:
- Undertake assessment of existing trends, opportunities and challenges in rural women's entrepreneurship on the basis of reports and information provided by UNDP programme/project staff and national consultants;
- Assess support to Women's Union as potential partner for delivering financial and non-financial services to rural women. Identify most pressing technical assistance needs with respect to institutional capacity;
- Develop draft programme aimed at promoting women's entrepreneurship in rural areas for further discussion with government and non-governmental organizations;
- Prepare recommendations on viable opportunities of financial and non-financial services for rural women to develop own business;
- Participate in round table/seminar by making presentation and share reference materials about best international practices in rural women's self-employment and entrepreneurship.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience:
- University Degree at the Master's level in Gender, Economics and other relevant discipline
- 5-year international experience developing programmes in fields of gender mainstreaming, women in self-employment and entrepreneurship with particular focus on rural development
- Experience in developing and implementing training programme on gender mainstreaming into development process
- Relevant experience in transition countries, particularly in CIS region
- Excellent report writing and communication skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Russian is an advantage.